Friday, March 15, 2019

Sisterhood, not a Destination but a Journey




March 15th always rings a bell for me, it usually takes a second for me to realize it’s the day I was initiated to my sorority.  Then it brings back a flood of memories…





I went to college with financial aid and scholarships from three predominately African American sororities (shout out to Zeta Phi Beta, Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta) so my junior year I decided to look into what these sororities were about and ultimately decided to pledge one.



 I went into the process not knowing who would be taking the journey with me.  Ultimately it was me and four other ladies, none of which I knew and didn’t recall seeing around campus.  We had different interests, lived in different dorms, had different friends and had no classes together.





Throughout our process we went from five to three , three  who studied together, walked together, talked together, laughed together, cried together, sang together, recited together, faced challenges together, sometimes lived together ( and sometimes disappeared together, LOL) . There were times I wanted to quit, times I wanted to fight and times I was scared out of my mind but to leave would be leaving two parts of me behind.   


In time we three strangers learned as much as we could about each other and became friends.  Early in the morning on March 15, 1985 the girls from Salisbury, Greensboro and Fayetteville became more than friends, they became sisters.  On that day Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated gained three beautiful, intelligent, talented, awesome sorors known as the Encore line.


The years have taken us to different places with different careers but time and distance can never break the bond we have and though we don’t talk every day when we do talk or get together it’s like we’ve never been apart.  Encore, Encore always leave them wanting more!

 Happy Zetaversary #3 ( KTC) and #4 ( Snapshot)

Much love from #1 ( Maestro)


Celebrating our 30th year in Zetadom, can't wait to reunite in 2020 at Centennial!


3 comments: